The Groveland Highway Department wants to provide the best possible service clearing our streets of snow and ice. Here are a few tips you can follow to help us do our job:
• Don’t drive unnecessarily in a storm especially during severe snowstorms and freezing rain.
• If a storm is anticipated, remove vehicles from the roadside shoulders. This allows plows to clear the area the first time through, making return trips unnecessary.
• Do not shovel or blow snow into the road or have your driveway plowed into the road. This can cause a serious traffic hazard.
• Help reduce the possibility of a broken mailbox post. Plow operators are urged to take precautions to avoid hitting mailbox posts; however, experience has shown that reduced visibility during a storm makes it difficult for a driver to see a post in time to avoid striking it or pushing it over with plowed snow. Any installation within the right-of-way, including a mailbox, is placed there at the owner’s risk. Therefore, residents are encouraged to install mailboxes at the maximum usable distance from the edge of the roadway. Posts should also be checked for deterioration to reduce the possibility that the weight of the plowed snow may simply break the post.
• Don’t be misled by trucks running with their plows raised—they may be returning for fuel or heading to another area.
• Avoid calling municipal offices during a storm for routine matters. Personnel are extremely busy dealing with storm conditions. It is best to keep the telephone lines clear for emergencies.
Yard Waste Drop Off Site
Opens: Saturday, April 12th, 2014 (Note, the opening date for each year thereafter will be determined at the end of the winter, late March or early April depending on weather conditions and funds remaining, so please check back if the date hasn't been updated).
Saturdays - 8:00AM to 2:00 PM
The yard waste site is for residents only and is not for commercial use. Drivers licenses will be checked prior to drop-off.
The Yard Waste Site is located at the Highway Garage, 160 Center Street (the section of Center Street between School and Washington Streets). The Highway Garage is across from Yale and Harvard Road area.
Spring/Summer and Fall Program
Leaves and Grass Clippings:
Acceptable items include leaves and grass clippings. NO sticks, branches, plastic bags or garbage allowed. Please take all plastic bags with you. Biodegradable paper bags may be left at the site.
Acceptable items include brush only, no larger than 3" in diameter . No roots, dirt, trash, or trunks will be accepted.
Christmas Tree Collection
Starting the week of January 18th the town Highway Department will begin to pick up discarded, clean (without wires and ornaments) Christmas Trees. Please be patient. We will get to them as soon as possible, but would appreciate you having them curbside beginning January 18th. Thank you!